Our Drum teachers are experienced tutoring beginners to advanced learners in a broad range of musical styles. Many people aren’t sure what they hope to gain from drum lessons when they first start. We usually recommend complete beginners start off with the introductory course which is specifically designed to cover all the basics in a fun and engaging style.
As students progress they often start to form ideas about what they want to learn or have a clearer idea about the direction and style they are most interested in we have teachers who specialise in all areas of music including: Rock, pop, jazz, song writing, and endeavour to match students with a teacher best suited to help them achieve their goals. Our drum teachers will also provide you with the best advice on how to practice in order for you to achieve your goals.
This course is suited to beginners of all ages, tutors take care to select music and activities that are creative, engaging and age appropriate. Typically the introductory course is about 10 weeks long, however teachers work at a pace that matches their students’ needs meaning the course is completed when the student is ready rather than following a strict
The course typically includes:
- Basic Rock Drum Beat in 4/4
- Shuffle Rhythms
- Basic Fills
- Learn to read Drum tablature
- Basic Drum Rudiments
- Correct Stick Technique
- Performance pieces – with backing tracks
- Tuning Drums
- Hand and Feet Techniques
- Song Structure Analysis
Students can also work through the Grade One Rockschool or Trinity Guildhall Grade Syllabus if they are interested in achieving a formal qualification at the end of the introductory period.
This course is suited to Drummers of all ages who have completed the Introductory syllabus. Intermediate lessons cover all abilities between Grade 2-5 standard. Our Drum teachers take care to select music and activities that are creative, engaging and age appropriate. The Intermediate lessons are open ended and should lead you into the world of Advanced Drum Playing.
The course typically includes:
- Technical Exercises: Learn 100s of warm up exercises that you can use around the kit and keep your grooves sounding fresh
- Latin and World Music: This area focuses on learning the essential rhythm patterns that are used in Latin, Afro- Cuban and Brazilian music
- Sight Reading: Let our experts show you how to read the dots! You will learn how to read Rhythm and Lead charts from experienced show players
- Theory: We’ll provide you with all you need to know and how it effects the music we play
- Improvisation: Tired of playing the same old Drum Solo?! In this area we’ll show you how to make your solos interesting again and make you stand out from the crowd
- Drum Legends: This topic looks at the legends of the guitar and will give you an insight into what gave these players such a lasting legacy on guitar playing
- Drum Solo Composition: Learn how to create show stopping drum solos that won’t have the crowd heading for the nearest exit!
Students can also work through the Rockschool or Associated Board advanced Grades if
they are interested in achieving a formal qualification throughout the intermediate period.
These lessons are for more experienced players that are looking to further their studies and working at a level that is comparable to Grade 6 – 8. We recommend that pupils that decide to move on to the advanced drum lessons programme should ideally have 40 or 60 minute lessons. This lesson duration is necessary in order to cover all of the material that will be covered in each lesson. If you are new to Love Music School and would like advice about the right teacher for you give us a call and we can talk through the options with no obligation.
Master Series Lessons
These lessons are geared towards players who are advanced drummers or professional players who are looking for that extra bit of inspiration. The Master Series lessons are aimed towards any musician that is dedicated and not scared of putting in the required practice.
They are ideally suited for players trying to study music at a higher level or wish to become professional musicians. They can be offered in 1 hour, 90 minutes or 2 hour sessions and are taught by some of the very best music teachers in the area.